Building and Planning

Building Permits:

See below for current town building by-law and building permit application. 

A building permit gives you legal permission to start construction of a building project in accordance with approved drawings and specifications.  Building permits are very beneficial to you and your community.  By working with the municipal development officer, you will benefit from their knowledge of the building codes to ensure your construction project is built right, will be safe and will last.  Safe construction practices help protect you, your family, your friends and your investment.  Be sure to get your local code official involved with your project, because the building department is on your side.

The best way to find out if you need a permit is to call the municipal office.  The staff is there to serve the public by providing information about safety and understanding of your local building codes.  Be sure to discuss your plans before you begin construction to determine whether you need a permit.  Permits are usually required for the following:

  • New buildings
  • Additions (bedrooms, bathrooms, family rooms, etc.)
  • Residential work (decks, garages, sheds, fences over 6 feet, fireplaces, pools, water heaters, etc.)
  • Renovations (garage conversions, basement furnishings, kitchen expansions, re-roofing, etc)
  • Electrical systems (see MB Hydro to obtain a permit)
  • Plumbing systems
  • HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning) systems
  • Change in use of land, building or structures

Obtaining a Building Permit:

1. Talk to your local municipal office
2. Submit Application
3. Receive Permit
4. Job-site Visits / Inspections
5. Receive Final Approval


A permit is not required for fences, however, is subject to the following regulations:

1. Fences shall not exceed a height of six (6) feet above finished grade in the required side or rear yards.
2. Fences shall not exceed three and a half (3 1/2) feet in the front yard.
3. Interior lot fences may be constructed along the property lines (it is recommended to stay a minimum 2 inches away from the property line in your yard)
4. Corner lot fences must be setback five (5) feet from the side lot lines.

Open work ornamental fences, uncovered walks, arbours, trellises, lighting fixtures, landscape architectural features or guard railing, for safety protection around depressed ramps, may be located in any required front yard if maintained at a height of not more than three and one-half (3 ½) feet above the average ground level adjacent thereto.  An open work type railing not more than three and one-half (3 ½) feet in height may be installed or constructed on any balcony, stairway, porch, platform or landing place.

Open work ornamental fences, hedges, landscape architectural features or guard rails shall not be located and maintained so as to preclude complete access at all times about a main building.  Gates or other suitable openings at least two and one-half (2 ½) feet in width shall be deemed adequate for such an access.

Hedges are subject to the same, however are to be located a minimum of two (2) feet from property line. 

Trees shall be located a minimum of five (5) feet from the property line.

Other Information:

Deck Permit Information
Pool Permit Information

Building Permit Guide Brochure
2020-8 Zoning By-Law

Guide de permis de construction 

Planning & Development:


If you are looking to subdivide your property, please contact the Steinbach Community Planning Branch at 204-346-6240, or click here for a brochure. Click here for an application form.

Zoning By-Law Amendments:

The Town of Sainte-Anne's Zoning By-Law is the planning tool that regulates land use and development by setting specific standards for how land and buildings may be used, where buildings and structures may be located, lot sizes, dimensions, parking and landscaping. A Zoning By-Law Amendment is re-zoning the current zone set for a property to a new zoning to meet specific standards for plans of the use of a property. Click here for a Re-Zoning Application Form.

Conditional Uses:

A Conditional Use is the use of land or buildings that may be permitted in a particular zone under the current Town of Sainte-Anne Zoning By-Law, but because of the type or nature of the use(s) of the land or buildings, conditions for its use are to be established as it is necessary to ensure compatibility with adjacent land uses and the Zoning By-Law. Click here for a Conditional Use Application Form.


A Variance is an alteration or change of standard prescribed under the current Town of Sainte-Anne Zoning By-Law. A Variance shall be considered only in cases of undue hardship or practical difficulties particular to the use, character or situation or land or building which is not generally common to other land in the same district.

A Minor Variance is a minor alteration or change to a standard prescribed by the current Town of Sainte-Anne Zoning By-Law. A Minor Variance may or may not be granted at the discretion of the Chief Administrative Officer, and shall not exceed fifteen (15) percent of any height, distance, area, size, intensity of use or parking space requirement of the current Town of Sainte-Anne Zoning By-Law. The Chief Administrative Officer or their designate is the approving authority of Minor Variance applications, however, may be referred to Council for a decision.

Please click here for a Variance Application Form.